Eating a healthy breakfast every morning is very important to your overall health and wellness! At the end of this article I have a very special, easy to make killer cereal bar recipe you are going to love!
Why Breakfast Is Important
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Breakfast provides you with the energy and nutrients that help you face the day.
- Breakfast helps increased concentration. Studies show that breakfast can be important in maintaining a healthy body weight.
- Hunger sets in long before it’s time for lunch, but because it’s not convenient to eat properly, many people who have not eaten breakfast snack on foods that are high in fat and sugar.
- People who skip breakfast are unlikely to make up their daily requirement for some vitamins and minerals that a simple breakfast would have provided.
- Breakfast provides energy for the activities during the morning and helps to prevent that mid-morning slump.
Tips On Eating a Quick and Healthy Breakfast
1. Pick 2-3 foods, including at least one from each of the following food groups:
- bread and grain (i.e.cereal, toast, muffin)
- milk and milk product (i.e. low-fat yogurt, low-fat milk)
- fruit or vegetable group (i.e bananas, apples, carrots)
2. Pick up portable breakfast items when at the grocery store. You should buy foods like fruit, low-fat yogurt, whole grain breakfast bars, or granola bars for those mornings when you have to eat breakfast on the go.
3. Replace or accompany that morning cup of coffee with a glass of orange juice or milk.
4. Make an omelette! You can shorten preparation time by chopping up your vegetables ahead of time.
5. Get up 15 minutes earlier. You can fix and consume a healthy breakfast in 15 minutes or less.
6. Plan ahead to eat breakfast. This means you should decide what you are going to eat for breakfast before the next morning. You can save time by putting out the box of cereal or cutting up some fruit the night before.
|Bonus Recipe: Killa Cereal Bar|
|1 1/2 Cups Oatmeal|
2 Tbsp Flax Seeds
1/2 Cup Peanut Butter (I use Nuts N’ More, but you can use natural pb)
2 Scoops Protein Powder (I use About Time Plain Flavor)
1/2 Cup Raisins
1 Cup Nonfat Dry Milk (I use 0 fat Carnation)
6 Packets Equal or Splenda
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Water
Mix all dry ingredients separately
Mix all liquid ingredients separately
Combine all ingredients (this is a thick batter, so a sturdy mixing utensil moistened with water often is best)
Wet hands and spread batter into a 9×9 baking dish sprayed with non-stick coating
Refrigerate for 3-4 hours
Cut into 8 squares and enjoy!
Nutritional Information Per Bar
Fat: 10.4g (all good fats!)
Sat Fat: 1.9g