My Recovery: 20 Things I’m Proud Of
The other day I posted a partial inventory of “Why I Won’t Ever Drink Again.” It was a startling, ugly view into my 35 year relationship with alcohol.
In that post I mentioned I would list 20 things I actually got right, or that have gone right, or that are right about me, in my life. So…(and let me tell you, it wasn’t easy coming up with 20 lol)
20 Great Things Of My Life Past and Present
- I have 206 days sobriety.
- I am a loyal, trustworthy friend.
- I graduated with high honors from college (and one semester I got a 3.9 GPA!).
- I served my country.
- I was an excellent dad there for awhile.
- I survived childhood trauma-well, mostly. I’m a survivor of many things.
- I’d give you the shirt off my back if you needed it.
- I received an Army Achievement Medal for re-writing a SOP for the Army.
- I forgave my parents for many, many things.
- I am an exceptional salesperson.
- I am very good with computers and websites.
- I have a big heart.
- I taught High School English and it was the best job I ever had.
- I am a very good sales trainer.
- I was promoted to Sgt. in less than two years, one of only two such in 1993 for my specialty.
- I think I am a decent writer.
- I am extremely neat.
- I love to cook and am good at it.
- I was a member of both the English Education and Psychology honor societies.
- I am fearlessly honest about who I am.
Well, there you have it. Not too many measurable successes, but gratitude for the ones I have had, and for some of the character traits that make up who I am.